Thursday, December 17, 2009

Good Bye Ghana



I am going with a baker's dozen approach to my final blog - I hope you enjoy!

1. Hermann Gmeiner started SOS villages by doing something small. I don’t think he imagined there would be many villages all over the world helping kids with hundreds of staff people but he wanted to make a difference in the lives of some people and he dedicated his life to the work. It is so hard for me to think small like that sometimes. I want everything to be huge and to happen right now but I need to try and make a difference in the lives of the people or person I come in contact with and be satisfied without it being some world renown thing. God is in control of what that one action may become.

2. I will always be thankful for the roads in Michigan. There are always roads way, way, way worse out there (Ghana). Also this goes for the bigger picture. This trip made it easy to see how blessed I am. I have family, health, education and religious freedom, friends and resources (in a classroom or) to just enjoy. I could easily have been born in a place without any one of those things that I consider so dear to my life. I will try not to take for granted everything that God has so graciously given me but know that he also can take away and that I need to be thankful even when I don’t have, just as the people in Africa are thankful for the seemingly little some have.

3. One of my passions is health / fitness and I was able to see how important these are in our lives. We eat too much meat and waste too much. I am going to try and eat less meat (ill never give it up because it tastes great and God said he made everything good for us to eat) and more healthy rice, pasta and vegetables. I also see the value of hard work. These people work so hard and are fit, strong and happy for what they have. We are blessed with technology and medicines that can help us live longer and if we combine that with a better diet and exercise we can live so much more productive and quality lives.

4. Family is ridiculously important. If parents are horrible then kids are horrible and that is where our society is heading. We need to strive to live better lives with morals and values that really mean something. Determine what those values are, and live up to them. If you come from a good family thank your parents all the time. If you don’t come from that type of family decide to make a change, be different and make life for your children better (I know it probably won’t be easy, but many times the hard things in life are worthwhile and you will be blessed for it). No matter what the financial or educational or social status of a family is, if love and values are there it will be great. My ten values in order of importance are faith (relationship with Jesus), relationships, love, purity, integrity, service, learning/growth, health, sports, and relaxation. I’d love to explain them a little if you are curious as to what I mean by them.

5. I tried to make sense of the educational system in Ghana as did our group. All I can say for sure is that no matter where you are give kids the basic skills to succeed and love them unconditionally. I hate to see kids “fall through the cracks” but I think that if you give it everything you’ve got to help those kids and teach them some basics and show them how to love they will find a way to be successful.

6. It is hard to remember the big picture. We want to see that what we are doing is making a difference in the lives of people. Remember that we may only be planting the seed. We may never see the development of students or people we come into contact with. Plant the seed and pray. God may bring someone else into that person’s life to help them grow. Also thank people when you realize that they helped plant the seed or encouraged your growth. It make them feel good.

7. I have learned that I have a lot to learn. Just when I think I am making strides and living the life I should be God puts me in a situation that humbles me. I am sorry crazy barterer lady at the Volta boat and any kids that I wanted to squish into the ground when they acted up. Almost everything in life can be a way to grow. Think of it that way and it is easier to be patient and kind when those situations arise. Don’t be satisfied with where you are in areas of your life. If you aren’t moving forward you are moving backward, you can be better so why not try?

8. Don’t be afraid to make real friends. Pour everything you have into people that you would like to be friends with. Be careful who those people are because you will act like they do unless you are very disciplined. Don’t be afraid to show emotion – so many people think crying is a sign of weakness but it can be beautiful. Share your feelings with these friends and listen to what they have to say. This life is all about relationships – develop a great one with Jesus Christ and try to make some really intimate ones with other people too.

9. It is okay to step outside of your little tiny box of comfort every now and then. The more you challenge yourself and your beliefs the stronger person and Christian you will become. Go on some adventures and try some things you have never tried. It is easiest to grow during these times. It is also easy to see what kind of character you have during the challenging times. It was easy to see the type of character that the people in my group have when we climbed up a mountain and tried to free our trapped van or when it was too hot to do anything but they played hard with the kids anyway. To see a person go through a difficult situation in a foreign country but act mature and not let it spoil the last few days of a trip. Stretch and test yourself to see what you are made of.

10. With power and wealth comes destruction. It is clear in the bible and really in society that we as people desire to have and have more stuff and power. As we achieve the stuff and the “better life” we often forfeit everything that really matters. People in Ghana don’t have what we have and they are friendly, they seem to rely on God and have some values like family, integrity and so on that we seem to lack now. At one time I think the U.S. was like this. I think people lived somewhat morally and in a way that would be pleasing to God. However, as we become more “successful” and powerful as a nation we are self destructing. You can see it in our economy, divorce rates, crime and so many places. I fear where our country is heading but I am not worried because my hope is in the Lord and not in a country or my job or the stuff that I have.

11. I need to focus on the people that usually get passed by or left in the dust. It has become more and more clear to me that I need to give my attention to those in need. I would love to make some of my friends change how they are living their lives. I wish I could show them the way I see and make it appealing to them but in all honesty they may not care. Jesus said that he came to seek and save that which was lost. He came to heal the sick and forgive sinners. That message makes more sense to me know. I need to focus on the people that no one else wants to focus on. The people that were picked on in school, the people without many family or friends, the ones desperately seeking God’s grace but are least likely to be shown it even by other Christians.

12. From Previous Blog - God has a sense of humor. Attison was our drivers name and I jokingly kept calling him Atticus (from to Kill a Mockingbird) anyway, after a really deep talk about spiritual issues with one of my great friends Whitney the next day I woke up and read the daily bread and the title was “speaking the truth” and it was about Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird. What a funny guy our creator is! The message was speaking the truth even against opposition and persecution and the ending says “It’s better to declare the truth and be rejected than to withhold the truth just to be accepted.” God knows what we need and when we need it. If we just let him lead our lives it is amazing what he can do. I encourage you to seek out a relationship with him daily. Make it personal, it can be informal, give him your troubles and get to know him. I know I am really enjoying his friendship and sense of humor.

13. Don’t be afraid to let your light shine. Be a window for God’s goodness to shine through. Be bold but humble, be smart but wise, be confident but meek, be kind, be loving and pray for others.

My prayer is that I can take these lessons and use them every day. Help me to make a difference in just one person’s life, help me to be thankful, help me to use my passions and gifts, help me to stick to my values, help me to plant seeds, help me to continue to grow, help me to develop relationships, help me to stretch myself, help me to be content, help me to give everything I have to those in need, help me to rely on You in all situations and help me to let Your light shine in me. There are so many other things I could talk about but this will do for now! Thank you for reading my blogs, I hope you enjoyed them and picked up a few interesting things along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment